The purpose of the Fly Tying Instructor's Resource is to provide fly tying instructors with a free online resource for developing, preparing, and presenting quality fly tying courses for their students. This resource is a product of the Fly Tying Group's (FTG) efforts to assist individuals as well as organizations in developing fly tying classes at the local, regional, or council level.
When you use this resource, utilize the items presented as recommendations, not dictates. We have assembled, collated, and edited information that has been successful for other instructors. We fully realize the success of any instructional program depends on the instructor's personality, level of expertise, and the ability to communicate with people. Collectively, this is called a "teaching style."
Each instructor will have their own "teaching style." Our goal is to give you some tools and ideas to enhance your style. Use what you find useful to support your program. This resource includes suggestions on :
- Designing A Class
- The Physical Class Setting
- Content - What topics & skills to consider, matching content to target audience, selecting what flies to use (Nelson Table)
- Methodology - How you present the content, suggestions on recognizing and addressing different learning styles of students
- Choosing A Target Audience - beginning, intermediate, or advanced level
- Material Procurement & Care
- The Fly Tying Instructor - Guidelines and Recommendations
and supplemental materials including:
- Downloadable Handouts (pdf) For Class & Instructor Use
- Catalog Resources
- Resource People List - contact information of persons willing to offer limited assistance in your class development
- Sample Class Setups and Formats
- Media Recommendations - texts, AV materials, and websites to consider
Use the above links to navigate our site. Place the cursor over the link and click. Links are provided thruought the website to allow you to navigate back the home page.
Use the links below to visit the Fly Tying Group website, the Federation of Fly Fishers website, or to contact us for further communitcation about your needs: